Are you breastfeeding to your child and want to pump your breastmilk but don’t know anything about pumping. I also don’t know anything before, I had no idea how to start. Same as me many women don’t know about this at the start. So I decided to write an article, in which I’ll tell you How Long to Pump Breast Milk.
I’ll answer many of the questions that you have in your mind, I also have many questions in my mind like, how often to do it, when to do it, and even sometimes much worried by the overflow of breast milk.
In this article, you’ll find the answer to your all questions no matter you’re pumping for the first time. You’ll find all pumping tips for breastfeeding moms.
How Long to Pump Breast Milk:
Here are some important and useful pumping tips for breastfeeding moms. First of all, you have to buy a standard electric breast pump, it will be easy to use don’t hesitate it’s good for the health of your child.
1. Which is the best time to start pumping?
If you are a new mom, you decide to feed your baby and also pump your breastmilk for your newborn, then you have any questions in your mind. For example, which is the best time to start pumping. Experts say that if breastfeeding is going well and mom doesn’t have to go back to work right away, it’s best not to pump for the first 4 to 8 weeks. It’s good pumping tips for a breastfeeding mom, as when a baby starts sucking, it naturally increases the speed of supply milk faster than any other pump. But no doubt, there are some situations like premature birth of baby leads mom to start pumping immediately. Because the baby is premature and the mother’s body is not ready to feed the baby. By pumping we can start this procedure.
2. Which is a suitable time during a day to pump?
If you decide to breastfeed, Morning is a very suitable time for pumping. Because you have the most milk in the morning time. So that the baby can be feed easily. Minimum time must be 60 minutes between baby nursing and pumping. Means you know when you have to nurse your baby, feed your baby, notice that time, and right after 45 to 60 mints you can pump. And don’t pump 60 minutes before when you have to nurse your baby. This way your baby will have milk to feed as per his full appetite. But if you have very good health, having plenty of milk, and wants to nurse after pumping, that’s completely fine, as he/she can easily take to his/her appetite.
3. How long should I pump for and how much will I collect?
The most important thing about pumping breast milk that should be kept in mind that pumping session should be about 10 to 15 minutes long but no more than 20 minutes. because normally at the start we have 3 to 5-ounce milk in the breast at a time and gradually with healthy diet quantity will be increased. And on each session, you should be able to collect 1.5-2 ounces of breastmilk. So that if baby needs to feed even after pumping you can feed them easily. Here are experts feeding chart which tells you how much quantity you should pump at the start and after that.
4. Collected it but, how do I store it?
This is one of the important pumping tips for moms to keep in mind that when you have to collect milk after pumping. Keep it in a clean bottle and store it in a fridge. It’s a good idea to have plenty of bottles on hand for collection. It is important that always store milk bottles and packets at the backside, not in the doors of the fridge. Don’t mix fresh milk in previously cold saved milk. Always cold freshly pump milk at room temperature and then put it in the fridge. Don’t forget to label every bottle. You have to take small bottles for this as you can save milk on an everyday basis with date and time. You can store your breastmilk in the fridge for up to 8 days.
You can put your breastmilk in freezer small bags also specifically made for this purpose. Frozen breastmilk can be stored in the freezer long for almost 3 to 4 months. It is one of the best pumping tips for breastfeeding moms.
5. How much breastmilk do I need for a single feeding?
Babies 1-6 months old typically take in 3-5 ounces of breastmilk each feeding. So this for the next feeding body creates more milk for the next feeding.
Pumping can be challenging! Here are some tips to make it easier:
Here are some short and most important pumping tips for breastfeeding moms.
- As I said earlier, buy a fine quality double electric breast pump. I recommend use Philips Comfort Double Electric Breast pump because I personally use it after reading its reviews, It is light, easy to clean and easy to assemble. But it is not important to buy the same brand, you can take any but first, check its reviews.
- To stimulate the letdown reflex, you can feed your baby and pump at the same time. it looks awkward at first, I know, but so you will be used to of it. By doing this you can get more output. that will be very healthy for your health as well.
- When you’re pumping, think about your baby. You can look at pictures, watch a video or just daydream about the baby. You can save a video of a baby crying on your phone.
- You can try it by testing different speeds. But more speed surely not means More milk, it totally depends on the mother’s health. Test out the different speeds and figure out which is the most comfortable and efficient.
- One important thing should be kept in mind that if you are breastfeeding or you are pumping it be to relax and calm. always sit in a comfortable place. the more you are relaxed the more you can get milk. While pumping you must take deep breaths.
- Always wear a relaxed and strapless bra or pumping bra when you are pumping or feeding on both of your sides.
For more informative or interesting articles just visit voguebabe.com