Shoes are very important in making or breaking your outfit and impression. Cleaning your shoes when needed is very important. So here is the whole process of washing sneakers by hand in some very easy and detailed steps.
You should start on the shoe laces. Take out the laces from your shoes and check the condition of them.
Clean them if they are just dirty but if they look a little worn out or you see threads on the edges, you should think about changing the shoes now. Buy new laces if you can’t buy new shoes right now.
- Measure the size of your laces so that it is easier for you to buy new laces for your shoes.
After taking out the shoe laces from the shoes, start cleaning them by getting a small bowl of water and putting 2 to 3 tablespoons of laundry detergent in it.
Use your fingers to mix them by making circles in the bowl and then rub your laces with your fingers. Practice this technique on both laces until the grungy parts look clean.
- This process will clean your laces nicely by breaking the deep dirt of the laces.
Turn water to warm in the sink and wash each shoelace thoroughly. Keep rubbing lightly while you rinse off all the soap and dirt till the water runs clear. Then use a towel to dry them up or just put them to a side.
- If your shoelaces are extra dirty and hard to clean, you can let them soak for 10 to 15 minutes in warm water in a bowel while you wash your shoes.
Now prepare to clean the eyelets. Eyelets are those small holes in the shoes where you pass the shoelaces from.
Use the detergent from before and dip an old but clean toothbrush in it and rub the eyelets carefully to clean any grime present in there. When you are done, wipe off the soap with a damp sponge.
- Make sure your sponge is not dripping wet. After running water on it, squeeze it to let out the excess water from it so that your shoes do not get over-saturated.
Take your shoes to a dustbin with a small scrub brush and brush away dry clumps of dirt or grass from the shoes over the dustbin.
- If the dirt is still wet, wait for it to get dry as it will easier to scrub off dry clumps.
- You can use a pair of tweezers if something is stuck hard on the shoes, to get rid of it.
In the 6th step, you need to have a bowl filled with 240 ml of water and 1 tablespoon of laundry detergent. Mix the ingredients to form a sudsy mixture.
- You would not have to make a new mixture if you have some left from the shoelaces and eyelets process.
- Detergent can dissolve in warm and cold water both, so take whichever you want.
Now it is the time to clean the shoe. You can use the toothbrush or scrub brush from before and dip it into the mixture of laundry detergent and water to do so. Scrub every part of the shoe like body, insoles, soles, tongue etc.
- Move the brush in circular motions to get out the deep dirt.
- Do not hesitate to wet the brush with the mixture again and again.
- If the insole is not getting properly clean, you can always buy new insoles.
The second last step is to wipe off all the soap from the shoes. To do that, wet a sponge and squeeze it so that it is not dripping wet and use it all over the shoe.
- Rinse the sponge out and reuse it till the shoe is completely clean.
- Clean the insoles and bottoms of the shoes thoroughly.
Now it is time to dry the shoes. Put them in a side, in front of a fan or an open window. This process will take 8 to 12 hours so stay patient.
- Do not put them under any heat or their shape will get damaged and they can also shrink.
- You can take out the insoles and put crumpled newspaper in the shoes to fasten the process.
Now that you are done, put the clean shoe laces and insoles in the clean shoes back.
- If you are among those people whose shoes really stink, you can just sprinkle some baking soda inside the shoe and let it rest till morning. Knock out the dry baking powder and use the shoes.
BUT if you want wash your sneakers in WASHING MACHINE than i have an amazing article for you On HOW TO WASH SNEAKERS IN WASHING MACHINE